Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Review: Nature Babycare Diapers

I have been using these since my daughter was about 4 months old, so it has been 7 months. We chose them because we originally started out cloth diapering, but due to some problems with the septic system we can no longer put the stress of doing loads of laundry on our leeching field. So we shopped around for diapers (we tried gDiapers, Seventh Generation, Huggies, and Pampers), preferring that we hopefully would settle on a tmore eco-friendly alternative. We use these because of the following reasons:
  • 100% Chlorine free
  • Materials based on corn instead of plastic, unlike most disposables, which also means they are breathable. They have a 100% natural based back sheet and distribution layer.
  • 100% compostable, both the diapers and the packaging they come in (although you of course should not compost poopy diapers), while conventional disposables can sit in landfills for up to 20 years after being disposed of and forgotten.
  • Thin construction and very absorbant
  • Seem to fit just like every other disposable diaper, and they do go up to size 6 (+35 lbs baby weight), which is nice since my daughter is already in size 5 in every brand of diaper I have tried.
  • No latex, fragrance, or TBT (tributyl tin)
They are definitely more expensive than most disposable diapers, they can be purchased either at Target, in stores only for an average of 9.54 per package, or on Diapers.com for $11.99 per individual package or a case of 4 for $44.99 (11.25/package). (NOTE: If you plan on ordering for the first time from Diapers.com please enter my referral code: CABI6588 and you will get $10 off your first order and you'll help me earn $1 credit towards my account for each order you place over $49).

Back to the Nature Babycare diapers, the downsides that I have found are the following:
  • They do have a tendency to get bulky when wet, I think because unlike a conventional disposable that traps the urine in a high absorbancy gel, there is no gel in these diapers so they get a little on the puffy side when wet.
  • Unfortunately I would love to say we have had no leaks, but we have, which we seem to have a problem with every diaper we have tried with this, it is only when our daughter has pooped, but unfortunately we have eperienced some small leaks.
  • Cost versus other disposable diapers
  • When disposing them the fasteners to not fasten to just any part of the
    diaper, only the strip along the front side of the diaper meant for
    fastening so you have to roll them up starting from the back.
Overall though my husband and I are very happy with these diapers, they hold up just as well as the Pampers my mom picks up for when she is babysitting and personally they don't have the odd perfume smell that I have noticed some diapers have (I have severe allergies to perfumes). I will be posting up reviews soon for Nature Babycare unscented baby wipes and gDiapers later today.

No comments: