Friday, August 29, 2008

Review: Baby Shampoo & Body Washes

I figured since I was planning on giving my daughter a bath tonight, I would review the couple baby washing products that I have used. We live on a septic system, so I try to avoid putting tons of chemicals that are not biodegradable or contain possibly harmful chemicals in them that will eventually end up in the soil of our front yard. The majority of personal care products that I use that can be washed off the body are usually natural, and that includes what I use on my daughter.


The first that I will review is for Method Baby Squeaky Green Baby Hair + Body Wash (8oz bottle). It can be purchased directly from Method for $7, at Diapers.com for $6.99, in Target store for $6.49, and many other retailers, if you want to find a store near you Method has a search on their website for what stores sell their products.

Pros:
  • Biodegradable formula that is hypoallergenic and tear-free.
  • Light scent from rice milk and mallow extract, unlike some baby products that have too strong a smell for me.
  • Paraben and Phthalate free!
  • Does what it should, cleans.
  • Does not dry out my daughter's skin, or appear to irritate her eczema.
Cons:
  • Does not get as sudsy as I would like.
Overall though for a natural baby shampoo and body wash Method is affordable, and I definitely will continue using it.

Nature's Baby Organics Shampoo & Body Wash - Lavendar & Chamomile scent (8oz bottle) is another product I have used on my daughter, my mom gave it to me as a gift with a bunch of other stuff before I had her. It can be found at the Nature's Baby Organics site and Diapers.com for $9.95, and at health food stores and some beauty product stores.

Pros:
  • 100% Vegan, Paraben, SLS (Sodium Laurel Sulfate), and Propylene Glycol Free, and Hypoallergenic.
  • Has a nice lavender scent that is not too strong.
  • I like that all ingredients on the bottle are explained in some form, so you know where they are coming from.
  • Does get nice and sudsy.
Cons:
  • Not tear free.
  • Does not leave my daughters skin as hydrated as I would like.
I will probably not go out of my way to buy this again, but it seems to do a nice job, personally for the price I would rather go with the Method baby wash. But as a gift it was nice, and the smell is quite delightful, and I can only hope helps when I give my daughter a bath in the evening before her bedtime.

No comments: